Ahh, summer. Just thinking of summer brings about a sense of relaxation doesn’t it? The thought of late night BBQs with family & friends, drinks on the patio, relaxing beach side and the food…who can forget the food.
But all that overindulgence can bring about a sense of guilt especially if you’ve been trying to stick to a nutrition program, right? That’s why I want to stop you right there in your tracks – because it shouldn’t!
Check out my Top 9 Summer Nutrition Tips and say SAYONARA to the guilt:
1. BBQ? Try going bun-less and either opt for a lettuce wrap or use a knife and fork to eat your burger etc. Pile on those healthy toppings and don’t be shy ( choose a variety of healthy, guilt-free toppings including lettuce, tomato, pickles, sautéed mushrooms, spinach, red onions, salsa etc.)
2. Always aim to fill half your plate with veggies (try to include as many colours of the rainbow as you can)
3. Choose salad with protein and always ask for your dressing on the side (that way you control how much dressing goes on)
4. Opt for fish over cow if you have the choice. Not only is fish a great source of protein, but fish such as salmon is high in brain boosting Omega-3 fatty acids. They also contain a lot less of the saturated fats that red meat contains.
5. Condiment Caution: opt for salsa or mustard over mayo and ketchup. And again pile on the veggies!
6. If you are planning on consuming alcohol, follow up each drink with one FULL glass of water (try not to drink all your calories). If you drink highballs, opt for club soda or water (with wedge of lemon or lime) instead of pop for mix.
7. Swap cakes and cookies for grilled fruit such as pineapple, pears, peaches, nectarines or bananas.
8. WATER, WATER, WATER! Remember the importance of staying properly hydrated throughout the day. Not only does water help you detox and keep your body adequately hydrated, but it’s ABSOLUTELY necessary in the heat. If you don’t like plain old water, spruce it up with fresh or frozen fruit, cucumber or mint!
9. Remember to ENJOY yourself and don’t feel guilty for indulging a little. Life is about balance and without some enjoyment, life would just be plain boring!